New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: Should I sign a pay cut agreement? - Hindi english news

Hindi english news

You get hindi and english news everyday with best content

Breaking

Home Top Ad

Post Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Monday, March 20, 2023

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: Should I sign a pay cut agreement?

Ask HN: Should I sign a pay cut agreement?
10 by folivore | 25 comments on Hacker News.
Hi! My employer recently announced a 10% pay cut across the board. Where I live(South Africa), employee consent is required. The company sent out a document asking us to sign in agreement. ---- This is the state of things now: * Company laid an unknown number of employees off, and laid them off without letting employees know until a week later in a meeting where they announced pay cuts * The company is pretty much full remote and the office is a nice-to-have. It is in a very expensive part of town. * Lunches once a week are catered at the office * I asked what happens if one were not to sign, and the response was "Oh, we haven't thought about that. We're hoping that everyone pulls together." * The situation will be reviewed quarterly * Company says they don't expect it to last very long, also citing this for why they kept the office ---- A few things stand out to me and feel like red flags, namely: * They chose to cut salaries rather than cut the office rent and catered lunch/snack expenses * They have no plan should someone not sign. I would think they would have planned that out, specially since they went on about how long it took them to make this decision. * Layoffs were hidden until an announcement, which was also ambiguous where people thought it was still coming. ---- My options are to sign and take a pay cut, or refuse to sign and see what happens. Law here says I am entitled to what effectively comes to a layoff, but I can't predict what the company will do. The pay cut also makes my life a lot harder since we were already on a tight budget. I would appreciate any thoughts, knowledge, or advice you might have. I know you are not a lawyer and I am not expecting you to be, but lawyers can't speak to real world experience from others in the industry. I am currently finding a lawyer to assist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Managing Your Debt

By Tara Siegel Bernard from NYT Your Money https://ift.tt/Yn5pDtP

Post Bottom Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Pages